Improved access for students, capital, and supports for apprentices key to Budget 2014
Budget 2014 places a high priority on advanced education, entrepreneurship and innovation to drive our economy forward and build a better Alberta. Innovation and Advanced Education is supporting students and post-secondary institutions by investing in new capital projects, supporting apprentices with new scholarships and bursaries, and creating 2,000 new full-time post-secondary spaces. See budget highlights.
The Ministry of Innovation and Advanced Education is part of Premier Redford's Building Alberta Plan. It is responsible for the following:
- Letters of Expectation for publicly funded post-secondary institutions on roles and expectations for a more unified post-secondary system.
- Works closely with Campus Alberta partners and stakeholders to ensure students have the tools they need to succeed.
- Funds public post-secondary institutions in Alberta, approves programs of study, and licenses and certifies private post-secondary institutions.
- Supports accessible, affordable and quality advanced learning opportunities for all Albertans, including providing student aid and scholarships and bursaries to eligible students.
- Develops ways for students to easily transition within the advanced education system.
Apprenticeship and Trades
- Develops program standards with industry.
- Counsels apprentices and employers.
- Provides funding for approved programs.
- Certifies apprentices and occupational trainees.
- Funds education providers, including research.
- Approves programs of study.
- Licenses and certifies education providers.
Student FundingProvides financial resources to Albertans to support their post-secondary education, including:
- Supports provincial and regional economic development in Alberta
- Works with the Alberta Economic Development Authority, Northern Alberta Development Council, industry sectors, businesses, communities and the Regional Economic Development Alliances to grow the province’s economy and make Alberta globally attractive and competitive.
- Works with the Competitiveness Initiative to help make Alberta one of the most attractive places to invest and do business
- Promotes a vibrant and diverse set of non-energy industry sectors that are continually growing and innovating
- Provides economic development policy and analysis to increase people’s awareness and understanding of investing in Alberta.
Research and Innovation
- Provides funding and strategic leadership for Alberta’s research and innovation system, including:
- Alberta Innovates: Bio Solutions
- Alberta Innovates: Health Solutions
- Alberta Innovates: Energy and Environment Solutions
- Alberta Innovates: Technology Futures
- Provides secretariat support to the Alberta Research and Innovation Authority.
- Facilitates technology commercialization and development to build knowledge-intensive industries in Alberta.
- Connects innovators with the right partner to collaborate on new initiatives and realize new opportunities
Read details in the news release.