Alberta Innovation and Advanced Education
Education and entrepreneurship are cornerstones of the dynamic economy that Albertans continue to build through their knowledge, adaptability and entrepreneurial spirit. Toward that end, Alberta Innovation and Advanced Education aligns economic development activities in the province with post-secondary education, entrepreneurship, industry training, research and innovation. Alberta is a leader in Canada with the implementation of this unique, inclusive structure, which builds on existing links between government functions that contribute to a stronger, more robust economy.
Building a skilled workforce through accessible post-secondary education and innovation helps advance our knowledge-inspired economy – an economy that is prosperous, diverse, competitive and stable. Alberta Innovation and Advanced Education is cultivating the knowledge-inspired economy in the province by aligning initiatives that strengthen the province’s skilled workforce, increase business start-ups, support the commercialization of technology, and focus on solving the world’s biggest challenges through a world-class research and innovation system. As a result, the ministry advances Albertans’ goal to engage with the world around them and, through investment and innovation at home, play a leading role in making our world a better place.
Government is looking to reduce red tape and give entrepreneurs and business owners a stronger voice in government so more small Alberta businesses can succeed. Thank you for participating in the engagement process to help shape the direction of the small business strategy.
The new Ministry of Innovation and Advanced Education is part of Premier Redford's Building Alberta Plan. We are responsible for the following:
- Letters of Expectation for publicly funded post-secondary institutions on roles and expectations for a more unified post-secondary system.
- Works closely with Campus Alberta partners and stakeholders to ensure students have the tools they need to succeed.
- Funds public post-secondary institutions in Alberta, approves programs of study, and licenses and certifies private post-secondary institutions.
- Supports accessible, affordable and quality advanced learning opportunities for all Albertans, including providing student aid and scholarships and bursaries to eligible students.
- Develops ways for students to easily transition within the advanced education system.
Apprenticeship and Trades
- Develops program standards with industry.
- Counsels apprentices and employers.
- Provides funding for approved programs.
- Certifies apprentices and occupational trainees.
- Funds education providers, including research.
- Approves programs of study.
- Licenses and certifies education providers.
Student FundingProvides financial resources to Albertans to support their post-secondary education, including:
- Supports provincial and regional economic development in Alberta
- Works with the Alberta Economic Development Authority, Northern Alberta Development Council, industry sectors, businesses, communities and the Regional Economic Development Alliances to grow the province’s economy and make Alberta globally attractive and competitive.
- Works with the Competitiveness Initiative to help make Alberta one of the most attractive places to invest and do business
- Promotes a vibrant and diverse set of non-energy industry sectors that are continually growing and innovating
- Provides economic development policy and analysis to increase people’s awareness and understanding of investing in Alberta.
Research and Innovation
- Provides funding and strategic leadership for Alberta’s research and innovation system, including:
- Alberta Innovates: Bio Solutions
- Alberta Innovates: Health Solutions
- Alberta Innovates: Energy and Environment Solutions
- Alberta Innovates: Technology Futures
- Provides secretariat support to the Alberta Research and Innovation Authority.
- Facilitates technology commercialization and development to build knowledge-intensive industries in Alberta.
- Connects innovators with the right partner to collaborate on new initiatives and realize new opportunities
Labour & ImmigrationImmigration
- Provides information about the immigration process for Canada and Alberta, as well as about programs and services designed to help immigrants before and after they arrive.
- Provides useful resources to guide new immigrants through Alberta’s immigration process.
- Provides a range of programs and services to new immigrants.
- Helps ensure that valued foreign workers needed to support Alberta's labour market can become permanent residents through the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program.
- Recognizes foreign-earned qualifications.
- Provides an advisory educational assessment service that compares educational qualifications from other countries to provincial educational standards
- Creates new opportunities for international workers and Alberta employers alike via the Temporary Foreign Workers Program.
- Address emerging labour force issues, working with a range of partners to identify solutions.
- Help employers develop their workforce through strategies that inform, attract, develop and retain, creating skilled employees and innovative workplaces.
- Lead the ongoing monitoring and updating of the Alberta government’s long-term labour force strategy.
- Facilitate industry and community partnerships to implement workforce strategies developed by industry for specific sectors of Alberta’s economy.
- Work to increase participation of under-represented groups in Alberta’s labour force and economy, including Aboriginal people, immigrants, people with disabilities, youth, and mature workers.
- Promote full labour mobility to ensure workers in other parts of the country consider Alberta as a top destination to live and work.
- Support the development of high quality labour market information including forecasts, surveys and statistical analysis of trends and labour information.
Read details in the news release.
The Minister is Honourable Thomas Lukaszuk
The Deputy Minister is David Morhart.