Alberta Innovation and Advanced Education
Education and entrepreneurship are cornerstones of the dynamic economy that Albertans continue to build through their knowledge, adaptability and entrepreneurial spirit. Toward that end, Alberta Innovation and Advanced Education aligns economic development activities in the province with post-secondary education, entrepreneurship, industry training, research and innovation. Alberta is a leader in Canada with the implementation of this unique, inclusive structure, which builds on existing links between government functions that contribute to a stronger, more robust economy.
Building a skilled workforce through accessible post-secondary education and innovation helps advance our knowledge-inspired economy – an economy that is prosperous, diverse, competitive and stable. Alberta Innovation and Advanced Education is cultivating the knowledge-inspired economy in the province by aligning initiatives that strengthen the province’s skilled workforce, increase business start-ups, support the commercialization of technology, and focus on solving the world’s biggest challenges through a world-class research and innovation system. As a result, the ministry advances Albertans’ goal to engage with the world around them and, through investment and innovation at home, play a leading role in making our world a better place.
Alberta sets vision for future economic growth
Alberta’s Economic Development Framework will help strengthen and broaden the provincial economy and build Alberta’s resilience through “boom-and-bust” economic cycles. The Framework encourages a diverse economic development community to rally around a shared vision for the Alberta economy. See Learn more.
Alberta Small Business Resources is a directory of business resources for new and established entrepreneurs. Find out more about how Alberta’s new Small Business Strategy is setting the stage for business success.
The Ministry of Innovation and Advanced Education is responsible for the following:
- Works closely with Campus Alberta partners and stakeholders to ensure students have the tools they need to succeed.
- Funds public post-secondary institutions in Alberta, approves programs of study, and licenses and certifies private post-secondary institutions.
- Supports accessible, affordable and quality advanced learning opportunities for all Albertans, including providing student aid and scholarships and bursaries to eligible students.
- Develops ways for students to easily transition within the advanced education system.
Apprenticeship and Trades
- Develops program standards with industry.
- Counsels apprentices and employers.
- Provides funding for approved programs.
- Certifies apprentices and occupational trainees.
- Funds education providers, including research.
- Approves programs of study.
- Licenses and certifies education providers.
Student FundingProvides financial resources to Albertans to support their post-secondary education, including:
- Supports provincial and regional economic development in Alberta
- Works with the Alberta Economic Development Authority, Northern Alberta Development Council, industry sectors, businesses, communities and the Regional Economic Development Alliances to grow the province’s economy and make Alberta globally attractive and competitive.
- Works with the Competitiveness Initiative to help make Alberta one of the most attractive places to invest and do business
- Promotes a vibrant and diverse set of non-energy industry sectors that are continually growing and innovating
- Provides economic development policy and analysis to increase people’s awareness and understanding of investing in Alberta.
Research and Innovation
- Provides funding and strategic leadership for Alberta’s research and innovation system, including:
- Alberta Innovates: Bio Solutions
- Alberta Innovates: Health Solutions
- Alberta Innovates: Energy and Environment Solutions
- Alberta Innovates: Technology Futures
- Provides secretariat support to the Alberta Research and Innovation Authority.
- Facilitates technology commercialization and development to build knowledge-intensive industries in Alberta.
- Connects innovators with the right partner to collaborate on new initiatives and realize new opportunities
- Supports work on the Social Innovation Endowment
The Minister of Innovation and Advanced Education is Honourable Don Scott
The Deputy Minister is Marcia Nelson.